Monday, April 25, 2011

Supplementation Without Representation

sup·ple·ment
1. Something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole.

I've been thinking about writing this post for awhile now and what's pushed me to go through with it is the recent abuse of supplements I've seen.

I would never ever name names, but I know a few people ignorantly supplementing. For whatever reason they are putting things into their body they believe will transform them, yet they don't exercise on a regular basis and don't have the best eating habits. They are also abusing stimulates and thermogens (aka fat burners) believing this alone will help them lose weight.

I'd like to believe that about 90% of people shouldn't be supplementing with anything more then maybe a protein powder and a decent multi-vitamin. This is because people don't research what they are putting into their body and how they are using it. They are literally pissing away expensive supplements without using them properly believing that if they shop at their local GNC it makes them serious about fitness.

I really believe you should not supplement unless you are:
1. Training with extreme dedication pretty much 5-6 days a week with hard set goals.
2. Know your body & mind intimately and have a firm grasp on good diet on how outside forces effect you.
3. Are educated so thoroughly on what you are taking that you could write a research paper on it blindfolded.

So why do people take supplements?
Well for one if you take them properly they can really help you get great results and help with recovery from your training. This is only with an already good diet and exercise plan though. Supplements aren't magic, you can't just start taking things and expect your body to change before your eyes. It's why I personally think that supplement companies shouldn't be allowed to advertise like they do.

Look in any fitness magazine and you will see every ad under the sun full of crazy ripped, glowing gorgeous bodies tell you if you take whatever it is they are taking you will look like them. WRONG!!
It's so wrong there should be a huge disclaimer.
You should already know how your body works and what your goals are before you put anything into it besides food and water. I must of read for months about certain supplements before even THINKING about taking them. I've been extremely careful and kept detail notes on how I feel and how I'm making progress.

One reason I also supplement is being a vegetarian and pumping a lot of heavy iron along with very intense cardio each week has its challenges. Because I don't eat meat there are components lacking from my diet that I want and need to get. I have to consume a lot of protein - a lot - especially if I want to see builds in lean muscle mass and be able to keep it. I found supplementation has been a tremendous help in this lifestyle choice, I know for a fact it's been one of the reasons I've seen such great progress.

That being said your body cannot live on sups alone. You need real food in conjunction with sups or they are useless. You also need to know what times to take them so that they benefit your body in the best possible way and know when to cycle off and stop taking them so your body doesn't get use to them (they won't be helpful if you over use). If this sounds like too much work you're right, it is. If you aren't willing to commit to learning it then you shouldn't be doing it... period.

I'm not sure I want to give a laundry list of what I supplement with (though my stack is very small in comparison to what a lot people take). I don't preach taking them and I don't want people to think it's the only way to get results. I didn't start supplementing with more then just a very basic protein & multi until about two and half months ago, so it does go to show you that my losses in fat and inches go to good old fashion diet and exercise.
I will throw props to Optimum Nutrition as I'm a very proud user of their supplements. They are forth coming with detailed information on their products and produce them with a level of quality that surpasses a lot of supplement companies out there. They are one of the few companies that produce many different forms and combinations of protein powders, including an all natural variety which I love. They also make a great woman's multi and I live and die by since it's the only one I've ever taken that doesn't make me feel sick to my stomach. I've recommended them as a source of protein to many people, but you still should READ THE LABELS. Know what's in it and what it's doing for you

Bottom line supplements are there to help fill a gap/deficiency in your diet and help assist your body in intense training. They should never ever be used without proper education of what they are and how they work with the right conditions and lifestyle. They can be very expensive and some, depending, can be dangerous if not taken properly (especially stims and thermogenics!).

If you don't know what is it, what it does or why it works you shouldn't be putting it in your mouth and don't let any amount of advertising change that. Be smart and safe with your body you only get one.

1 comment:

  1. What? No magic pill for health and nutrition, Diane? Tell me it ain't so.

    Oh well... I guess I'll just stick with my vegetarian lifestyle until that pill comes along.

    Thanks for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete